Procedures for obtaining a Rwandan Passport
- Passport application form duly completed and signed by the applicant: two copies
- Two colored passport size photos with white background
- Letter addressed to Director General Immigration and Migration requesting passport
- Photocopy of residence permit
- Rwandan identification document
The cost of obtaining a passport is 75 Euro (non refundable).
It takes around two months for one to be issued with a passport.
Bank details for Embassy of the Republic Rwanda in the Netherlands:
IBAN: NL 57 ABNA 04 01 95 75 43
ABN AMRO Bank in The Hague
Download application form for Rwandan Passport
- Diaspora_Passport_application_form.pdf (for passport application through embassy)
Rwanda East Africa Electronic Passport
The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration informs the public that the Government of Republic of Rwanda has commenced on the 28th June 2019, issuance of the Rwanda East Africa (EAC) e-Passport based on an entirely new design.
From this date, all passports issued to Rwandan citizens will be of the new design, which complies with the technical specifications for travel documents contained in the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Document 9303, and with the passport specifications of the East African Community.
A. The Rwanda East Africa (EAC) e-Passport has a modernized design that reflects Rwandaâ€™s rich culture and enhanced security features that will make it much harder to forge.
B. The Rwanda East Africa e-Passport booklet variants will be categorised depending on the number of pages, validity and fee structure:
1. Ordinary Passport with 50 pages and 5 years validity at 75,000 Frw.
2. Ordinary Passport with 66 pages and 10 years validity at 100,000 Frw.
3. Ordinary Passport for minors with 34 pages and 2 years validity at 25,000 Frw.
4. Service Passport with 50 pages and 5 years validity at 15,000 Frw
5. Diplomatic Passport with 50 pages and 5 years validity at 50,000 Frw.
C. Consistent with the EAC Heads of States directives, passports of the previous design already issued to Rwandan citizens will remain valid for up to two (2) years from the date of issuance of the electronic passport up to June 27th 2021.
D. All passport applications and payment will be made ONLY through IREMBO on the below link : https://irembo.gov.rw/rolDGIE/epass port_v1/Epassport_v1.xhtml
E. The Rwanda East Africa (EAC) e-Passport requires capturing of the biometric data to ensure successful identification of applicants. Therefore, every Rwandan citizen applying for e-Passport will be required to physically provide biometric data (10 finger prints and photo), except for children of age below sixteen (16) years.
F. The process will be in the following steps:
1. Rwandans will either use an Irembo agent to apply on their behalf or APPLY and PAY by themselves through IREMBO. The main requirements in the application is an Identity Card (Indangamuntu) and payment of a fee corresponding to the passport applied for.
2. An applicant will receive an SMS from the DGIE providing appointment to capture the biometric (10 finger prints and a digital photo).
3. The following day after providing the biometrics, the applicant will be informed through SMS to come to collect the passport.
G. The processing time will not change. A Passport will be issued within 4 working days. For more information, visit the website of the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration www.migration.gov.rw
Please click here for information about the Rwanda East Africa (EAC) e-Passport in Kinyarwanda and French.